Starting Fall 2017 - Reports to Childcare Supervisor
The Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre is seeking an experienced RECE teacher for its Childcare. Preference will be given to RECE teachers with previous experience in Play-Based Learning and/or a Child Directed Learning program. Be a part of this dynamic school where you will have the opportunity to grow with the children. Primary responsibilities include observing children and implementing a stimulating program for the children and open communication with parents.
About the MNjcc:
The Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre is a dynamic hub in downtown Toronto. It provides opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to be active, learn, connect and participate in a wide range of cultural experiences. Rooted in Jewish values, the MNjcc is open to all.
Founded on this site in 1953 the MNjcc is home to a 3800 member state of the art Fitness Centre, the Al Green Theatre, four schools, four choirs, a wide range of arts and cultural activities, Jewish Life programming, and a robust Active 55+ program. It is a founding member of the Bloor Street Cultural Corridor, and the lead organizer of the annual Annex Family Festival.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Developing and implementing childcare programs at an age and developmentally appropriate level for toddlers.
• Preparing weekly program plans, including all areas of development, to be handed in one week prior for Supervisor’s approval.
• Ensuring the safety of all children in attendance at the childcare
• Maintaining a clean and safe environment for children at all times
• Communicating with the Supervisor regarding any areas of concern regarding health and safety of children as well as concerns with specific children
• Supervising children during daily outdoor and gym times
• Getting to know each child individually to instill confidence, encouraging creativity and cognitive skills, and the mastering of social skills
• Teachers will be required to change children when their diapers or clothes are wet or soiled. Gloves will be provided for this.
• Teachers will read and agree to all school policies as set out by the Director and Ministry of Education
• Do daily playground inspection and record results
• Do daily health inspection of children
• Teachers will be required to assist the children with lunch and snack routines
• Assist the children with nap/rest time routines
Interactions with Parents:
• Communicating with parents when necessary in reference to their children. Teachers will speak to parents regarding daily occurrences at school concerning only the child of the parent being spoken to. If there are matters of major concern, teachers will speak to the Supervisor first before speaking with the parents.
• Teachers will adhere to the “Privacy Act” and not relay any personal information of families to others.
• Teachers will understand the importance of school issues remaining within the privacy of the school.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Current RECE
• Clear vulnerable sector screening
• Current First Aid/CPR
• Ability to communicate easily with parents and other staff
• Familiarity with Learn Through Play/Elect learning models
• Physical Demands:
• Teachers will be required to lift children if necessary.
• Set up and put away of cots for rest time
• Other furniture and equipment movement as required
• Food Handler/Server certification from Public Health an asset.
Salary and Benefits:
• Starting salary $32,000.00 plus Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant when eligible
• Medical-Dental plan
• RRSP matching program
• Free gym membership for staff, spouse and children
• Generous sick day policy
How to apply:
• Please note, that only candidates moving to the next stage of the selection process will be contacted.
Alternate Formats and Accommodation:
The MNjcc is committed to providing an accessible employment environment. We are committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and aim to ensure that dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of JCC culture.