A member of the Al Green Theatre team, the technician is responsible for the overall technical set and execution of events. The Technician’s primary function is to work with the event organizer on the day-of the event to assist with meeting lighting, sound and video requirements for each event. In addition the Technician liaises with theatre clients and front of house staff to ensure the smooth execution of events, and uphold theatre policy and procedure.
Start date April 2018 - Reports to Al Green Theatre Technical Director
About the MNjcc:
The Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre is a dynamic hub in downtown Toronto. It provides opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to be active, learn, connect and participate in a wide range of cultural experiences. Rooted in Jewish values, the MNjcc is open to all.
Founded on this site in 1953 the MNjcc is home to a 3800 member state of the art Fitness Centre, the Al Green Theatre, four schools, four choirs, a wide range of arts and cultural activities, Jewish Life programming, and a robust Active 55+ program. It is a founding member of the Bloor Street Cultural Corridor, and the lead organizer of the annual Annex Family Festival.
The Al Green Theatre is a fast-paced, professional and collaborative work environment which hosts a wide range of arts and community events from film screenings, to concerts, panel discussions and theatrical and dance presentations.
Working hours vary as they are based on the theatre bookings calendar – staffing schedules are determined on a monthly basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• To be present in the theatre, when scheduled by the technical director, and to supervise the correct operation of the theatre’s technical equipment and the safety of all personnel working in the theatre during load-ins, load-outs, rehearsals and public presentations.
• To operate video, lighting and/or sound equipment during events or to supervise their operation by other technical staff on the call.
• To open and prepare the theatre before the arrival of theatre users and to ensure that all theatre entrances are locked following all performances, screenings, rehearsals, load-in and strike calls.
• To uphold Al Green Theatre policies in a firm, but polite manner.
• To liaise with event organizers and other Al Green Theatre staff to ensure the smooth operation of events, rehearsals, set-ups and strikes in the theatre.
• To work technical maintenance calls as requested by the Technical Director.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Technical experience (lighting, sound, head technician) in a theatre, performing arts centre, or community centre environment
• Experience with live sound (set-up, mixing, troubleshooting) required
• Experience in theatrical lighting (hanging, focusing, patching, operating) required
• Experience with video projection systems required
• Experience with a variety of performance types (music, theatre, dance, film) is an asset
• Ability to problem solve under pressure while maintaining a friendly demeanor.
• Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Good interpersonal skills
• Good organizational skills including the ability to work independently and set priorities
• Thrives in a fast paced environment
• Strong leadership skills
• Team player
• Strong logistics skills
• Good oral and written communication skills, including the ability to accurately interpret and summarize information in a clear and concise manner.
• First Aid & CPR certification is required (training will be provided).
• Human Resources training as mandated by the Ontario Government (training will be provided).
• Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada.
Salary and Benefits:
• $18.25 hourly (tax deductions not remitted by the MNjcc)
• Use the Fitness Centre based on number of days worked
How to apply:
• No phone calls please
• Applications will be accepted until Friday, February 16, 2018
• Please note, that only candidates moving to the next stage of the selection process will be contacted by us.
Alternate Formats and Accommodation:
The MNjcc is committed to providing an accessible employment environment. We are committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and aim to ensure that dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of JCC culture.